Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Quiet Times

Over break I have been reading two books with my quiet time. I just finished Glimpses of Heaven by Trudy Harris. This book was written by an RN who worked in hospice care. She compiled stories of patients and their last moments on earth. I enjoyed reading thoughts from an RN's perspective. Hospice has been an interest of mine.


I've also been reading A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh Demoss. This book has reminded me of the importance of having a daily quiet time even when I do not feel like it. She gives practical advice and multiple verses that encourage me to keep pursuing God's Word. Most importantly my devotion is not just about reading God's Word but Knowing God better.


For my quiet times I usually read Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest along with a chapter from the New Testament and a chapter from the Old Testament. Currently I am reading from Matthew and Psalms/Proverbs. I wanted to get back into the Gospels because that is where we see Christ's life on earth. I've enjoyed reading Matthew. Sometimes before clinical last semester I would sit in my car and read a little from Matthew. I am amazed at God's healing power. Multiple times in Matthew Jesus healed sick people. I was reminded that even though I am in the medical field, God is the ultimate healer. How comforting!

Today I was encouraged by a book called Daily Light, put together by Anne Graham Lotz (Billy Graham's daughter). She compiled verses from various parts of the Bible to communicate a specific message. I enjoyed today's message:

You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Cast your burden on the Lord and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. I will trust and not be afraid; for YAH, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He also has become my salvation.

Why are you fearful, O you of little faith? Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.

The work of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness, quietness and assurance forever. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come.

[Is 26:3, Ps 55:22, Is 12:2, Matt 8:26, Phil 4:6-7, Is 30:15, Is 32:17, John 14:27, Rev 1:4]

These verses remind me that I have no need to fear. Often I worry about the future (tests, school, life, where I should work, etc.). I need the peace that only comes through Christ. I need to come back to these verses when I am discouraged. How kind of God for meeting my needs this morning! ;]

4 comments:

TK said...

so good Kelly! I want to read those books too!
love,
Mommy

Anonymous said...

That looks like great reading. Keep it up Kelly--you are sowing to good things!

DD said...

It's all about peace with you isn't it? LOL just kidding that was encouraging.

Jordan said...

Those books sound very encouraging! Good luck with everything Kelly! :)