Wednesday, October 8, 2008

CO: Chest and Lungs

Today I had my CO on the Chest and Lungs. For this system we Inspect, Palpate, Percuss (strike or tap with hand over body, sounds over the lungs should be resonant when percussing) and Auscultate. This is a picture of the posterior (back), lateral (sides), and anterior (chest) regions where you would percuss and auscultate. If you notice the right side of the body you assess differently than the left side. The right side makes a "Z" shape because your right lung has three lobes, to hear the middle lobe you have to follow the "Z" pattern. The left side makes a "C" shape and only has two lobes. I thought that was very interesting.

Assessing the Chest and Lungs is crucial for any medical profession. Breathing is essential for life. I'm reminded of when God created man in Genesis 2:7 "then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature." Christ not only gives us air to breath physically, but gives us life spiritually. As important as breathing air is to life, being alive in Christ is most important. I'm so thankful that He has made us with intricate parts. I so often take for granted that we can breath and we are able to use our lungs from the most strenuous activities to resting at night. Once again I am in awe of how God has created us.

As I promised, I was able to take a short video of the nursing lab. This is just what a typically room looks like. There are about 8 examining rooms that all look the same.

8 comments:

DD said...

The lab looks like my doctor's office. what was the coffee for in the drawer? is that what you said it was, coffee?

TK said...

Great video Kelly! I love how you put it about the air we breath. God has taken care of every function of our body!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

So cool kell!!!

Jordan said...

LOVE the video!! Great post! :)

[Kelly] said...

DD, the coffee was used for when we test the person's sense of smell. They have to guess what they are smelling. haha ya the rooms are really cool! Makes you feel like ur at a real dr. office! I love it, i will try to take more videos.

MOMMYXTHREE said...

COOL POST...LOVE THE VIDEO...LOOKS LIKE THE REAL THING :)

KK said...

That room is awsome..how many do they have like that?

[Kelly] said...

about 9 rooms