Thursday, October 16, 2008

CPR

Today I had a CPR class. The sophomore nursing students are required to learn CPR before we start going into the hospital. I was able to take it with a couple of friends too! The class was from 3-6pm and we were able to practice CPR on an "adult" and "child"(mannequins) We did mouth to mouth, but also got to use the ambu bag (a bag filled with air that you squeeze, so that you don't have to breath into the person). Also as a part of the course we learned how to do the Heimlich maneuver on an adult and a baby (very different procedures for each). So at the end of the class you are required to take a 20 question test of things that you have already practiced. It is not very difficult. Each of us had either test A or B (doesn't really matter). Then when we were finished we were suppose to go to the front of the room and grade it. (You are only allowed to miss 4) I went up to grade my test and I got number 1 wrong, and number 2, and number 3, and number 4, right in a row! My face was so red, I couldn't believe I missed that many already! So I continue and I look at number 5 and I got that wrong too! Then I realized I was looking at the wrong grading sheet. I took test B and was looking at the answer sheet for test A. I ended up just missing one question, much better than all 20! I had to laugh!

I strongly recommend taking a CPR class, individually or as a family, it's not only interesting, but you can be prepared to help someone, even a family member and save a life.

7 comments:

TK said...

I'm so glad you learned this! HOpe you never have to use it! When I took it many years ago I was pregnant with DD. Fun post Kelly!
love,
mom

DD said...

Oh I hated doing mouth to mouth on those things, they always had a smell to them!

[Kelly] said...

now they have these coverings, because we shared them with a partner and we each had this like plastic paper to put over the mannequins mouth, so it wasnt' bad at all.

Jordan said...

I had to take a CPR class my junior year and thankfully had never had to use my skill! They gave us the mouth coverings that go on our keychain! Very handy! :)

MOMMYXTHREE said...

good for you... I'm glad you were only loking at the wrong test lol.....we use the plastic pieces over the mouth as well and alcohol wipes because we have to share them when training as well..

KK said...

Good job Kellis! Pretty soon you will be teaching the class.lol!

Unknown said...

I had to come over and meet you after seeing the very pretty N picture Danielle put up on her blog about you : ). I will be praying for you in college this year. I know it is a super fun time, but it can be stressful too! I hope you are having a wonderful Sophomore year. I can't wait to hear about more nursing things you do. I was SO worried when I was reading about your test. Thank goodness you had the wrong one!